Monday, October 28, 2013

Karibu Kenya

My trip to Kenya was way too short yet beyond incredible for two reasons: VAP and Daraja.

Vijani Amani Pamoja (VAP)
When it came down to it I only had 1 full day in Nairobi. Some might want to explore and do all the touristy stuffy like visiting the Nairobi National Park, the big market to buy crafts, or stopping in to a museum. Me, on the other hand, spent the day visiting a school, walking through the slums, eating ugali, and talking about how to further the work of great nonprofit. Only the best way to spend my only day in Nairobi!

The day was spent with the VAP team. VAP is a partner organization of GRS. Since starting with GRS I have only heard incredible things about the team; Enounce, Oppo, Oti, and Nancy. It turns out everything I’ve heard is true and more. I went to VAP with the mere task of talking to Oppo, their M&E coordinator, about M&E related things I won’t bore you with. However the visit was so much more than that. Their office is a tiny room, barely enough space to fit 2 desks, a bookshelf and two chairs. The small room is nothing compared to the size of their hearts and the passion that flows so wildly from the room. I was blown away with how hard they work for the cause because they want to see change. They were telling me how other organizations have heard about them and are coming to them for advice and see them as role models!!! AH! I’m pretty sure I had a huge smile glued to my face from the second Oppo greeted me with a ginormous hug outside of the office building. The team took me out to lunch and ordered me some ugali and chicken stew. It was DELICIOUS! After lunch, Oppo said he would take me out to an intervention. Of course I couldn’t decline the offer. We met Oti and several other coaches out at the school.  During our walk and waiting times, Oppo, Oti and I decided that when we all somehow become millionaires we are going to start a professional soccer team. So yes, my life plans have changed. The intervention was great to watch and the students were participating like crazy. They were asking questions about stuff they didn’t understand and showing off their knowledge of HIV/AIDS. The HIV/AIDS battle begins with youth. They are the change makers that can turn the tide. To see these youth engaged in learning about HIV/AIDS gave me chills. This can change lives. This can change communities. Peace Together Youth.

By the time Eddy, a coach, had gotten me back to the city centre, I had officially spent almost 7 hours with the VAP team. No other way to spend a day.

The Daraja Academy:

The Form 4s singing for everyone!
The point of my trip to Kenya was to visit SJ who has been working at a girl’s academy called Daraja since June. The school is home to 104 very very very intelligent girls from all over the country who would otherwise have no opportunity for a secondary education. Saturday was “Prayer Day” at the school. The girls’ families are invited to come to the school to wish the Form 4s (seniors) good luck on their national exams. These exams which take place over about 3 or so weeks determine if students will be able to go to university or not. There about 33 tests in subjects such as chemistry, biology, English, Swahili, and Algebra. Students who receive good grades (As) can get their university paid for by the government--a huge deal to students who come low income families. Students who receive low grades will probably not go on to further education. A lot of pressure rides on these exams. You could tell that these girls, were studying hard. SJ said that they may wake up at 4am to study and stay up late. 

However, on Saturday it was all fun and smiles. I lost count of how many times the hair on my arms stood up from the incredible moments. The first came when one of the students’ families arrived. She wasn’t near the gate when they first arrived but all of the girls started yelling for her. The next thing you know she is bolting through campus with the biggest grin on her face. She runs up to her family and gives them a huge high five and a hug. It was precious. These girls are away from their families for so long and to most of them their families are their backbones. They study hard to make their moms or aunts or sisters or dads proud. A part of me immediately missed my family but like the girls, we are away to be change makers. 

The second hair chilling moment came when the preacher, who was incredible and very inspiring, offered to pay for the top girl’s university tuition. HOLY COW! We were in shock. The crowd immediately broke out in cheers and claps and huge smiles. Smiles, cheers, and claps sum up Daraja. There is so much happiness and dedication that fills that campus. Here are 104 girls that are so eager to learn it’s astonishing. I can’t help but think of all the girls worldwide that are so eager to learn yet are denied the opportunity. I had flash backs to all those nights in college when I complained about homework or just didn’t turn in an assignment and settled for a lower grade. What I was doing. For all those reading, embrace the opportunity that is in front of you to learn, whether in school or not. Spend those extra hours actually reading the book instead of skimming, take the time to enroll in a free online class in a subject you know nothing about.





Those of you who know me, know that this stuff is what I love. Discovering the stories of those that don’t get enough credit. The smallest people in the world make the biggest difference whether it be a girl in a school or a youth that can protect themselves from HIV/AIDS. I am going to shamelessly plug right now for these two amazing organizations so they can continue to make waves in their communities. If you have interest in

1) Donating to VAP so they continue turning the tide on HIV/AIDS in Nairobi youth you can do so here


2) More information on Daraja and their sponsorship program can be found here


Asante Sana!

No comments:

Post a Comment